February has seen further advancements to the excavation reaching the reduced level to over a third of the building footprint. This has seen a reduction in plant on site having one of the 20 ton excavators re-mobilised to another project.
The first large slab pour at the north end of the basement has also been achieved @ 120m³. Pile caps have now been cast to 33% of the building footprint releasing the campus level slab to be formed over the coming weeks.
The last week of February and early weeks of March will see the installation of a large pre-cast culvert running below the campus slab. These units are will be installed using a mobile crane erected within the site boundary as they are too heavy for the resident tower crane.
The delivery of the pre-cast units will be via approximately 4 Lorries per week for the 2 – 3 week install period.
March will see a reduced number of lorries taking spoil away from the project and an increase in basement reinforcement and concrete deliveries.
Building Fact File
- The new Sports & Science block will have nearly 9,000 m2 of internal floor space
- The building will include a 1,200 m2 green “eco” roof
As part of our Community Engagement Strategy we actively engage with the local community to:
- Promote local labour – currently 30% local labour
- Provide work experience opportunities – working with BHCC Youth Employability Service for future work experiences
- Work with local schools and youth clubs
- Run fundraising events (Look out for information on our charity parachute jump this summer!) – sponsoring Peacehaven United Youth FC
- The site has currently recycled all construction waste:
- Office waste 100% recycled
- Construction waste 100% recycled